Common Queries of Applicants

How do the entrance examinations take place for the Chinese/Japanese bachelor’s degree study programmes?
   All information about entrance examinations can be found in the link to the above website (Czech only):

What are the success rates for the entrance exams? (Czech only)

Which fields of study can I combine with my double-major Chinese or Japanese Study Programme?
   Chinese Philology is able to be combined with whichever bachelor’s double-major field at the PhF UP.  We recommend that you combine your studies with other Philological fields, or Applied Economics.  However, it is theoretically possible to combine your studies with other double-major bachelor’s programmes at the other faculties of UP, with the Faculty of Education and the Faculty of Physical Culture being the most common.  
   The field of Japanese for Business and Commerce however cannot be combined with the field of Japanese Philology nor with Applied Economics.

Do native speakers teach at the department?
   Chinese: every year students from Chinese teaching institutions visit the DAS to teach conversational Chinese, which is available either privately or in groups.
   Japanese: two members of the department are native speakers, who share the teaching of the conversational lectures. 

Are there any extracurricular or recreational activities available at the department?
   Japanese club -
   Czech-Chinese Association, Olomouc  -
   Confucius Academy -


Common Queries of First-year Students

The guidebook “Kudy Kam” for the first-year student: (Czech only) (Czech only) (Czech only)

Where can I find forms?

What is STAG?
STAG is an electronic information and administration system, in which students create their schedules, apply to sit assessments and tests, and where they can find their fulfilled and unfulfilled study requirements.

I have a problem with STAG, whom shall I turn to?

What is the Palacky University Portal? (and click on the English version)
The UP Portal is an electronic gateway, in which the STAG system is embedded, and which contains access to university email accounts, university canteen, courseware, documents and study material search engines (DMS and OBD), etc.

What is Moodle?
Moodle is an e-learning portal which contains study materials for students of Chinese ( and Japanese ( To use this portal you need to login.

I have a problem with Moodle, who should I contact?
The Moodle administrator for both the Chinese and Japanese sections is ( or you can email the helpdesk at ( For more information see the manual on the Portal.

Do the teaching lessons at the DAS exactly follow the official schedule of the Faculty of Arts, UP?
For the Chinese study programmes, the first week of the winter semester is devoted to the familiarization of first year students with the UP environment, while the second year bachelor’s students and first year master’s students attend group organizational meetings.  Lectures run from the second week onwards.
For the Japanese study programme, lectures run according to the schedule from the first week of the semester.

What should I do if there is a timetable clash, and subjects that I am interested in overlap?
For double-major studies (due to the large amount of possible combinations with other study fields), unfortunately it is not possible to guarantee that subjects will not overlap.  If two subjects have a timetable clash, the general rule is that category A subjects prevail.  However, it is best to discuss clashes with lecturers of both subjects at the beginning of the semester to make special arrangements, such as class attendance every second week.  When two category A subjects overlap and your lecturer does not instruct you otherwise, attendance is usually set at 50%.

Where can I find a list of faculty members and their consultation times? What should I do if I cannot meet with them due to classes?

Consultation hours are listed on the department member’s profile pages found here: If you are unable to visit them due to a timetable clash, we advise that you organize an appointment by email.

Where can I find study materials?
You can find these in the Portal for Chinese Studies, Portal for Japanese Studies, UP library, Scientific library, DAS library:

The teachers did not give much details about assessment and examination requirements, where can I find this information?
All information specifying the student responsibilities for their given subjects can be found on the STAG portal.

How can students register for their assessments, examinations or colloquia within the DAS?
Unless otherwise indicated by the subject lecturer, students should use the STAG portal and register on the public page for their selected assessment, examination or colloquia date.  In the case of conversational style subjects, it is possible to arrange specific assessment times with the subject lecturer.

How many assessment and examination attempts is a student entitled to?
Refer to the Study and Examinations Code of Palacký University in Olomouc, which can be found on the PhF webpage, under Study Affairs, PU rules and guidelines. Link?

What should I do if I cannot register for particular assessment/exam dates, for my state final exam, or for my thesis/dissertation presentation & defense?
Request the STAG administration for a capacity increase.

How do I subsequently enroll into or withdraw from a subject?
Fill-out the form “Request for subject withdrawal/registration” and hand it at the secretary’s office at the DAS. Link?

What is a comprehensive language test?
Chinese: (no link)
Japanese: see STAG: subject code ASJ/SJZK1

What does the “deadline for the fulfillment of all study obligations” mean?
This is the deadline for the completion of all assessments, exams and colloquia for the given academic year and the results need to be entered into the STAG system.  After this the student must print out the record sheet A and hand it in at Students affair office.
September the 3rd, 2014: is the final date for the fulfillment of all study obligations in the 2013-2014 academic year.  The last teaching week in the winter and summer semesters for Chinese Philology is not considered an examination week, and classes continue to run as per the normal schedule.

Common Queries of other Year Levels

What are the possibilities for scholarships and internships/study visits at the Department of Asian Studies (DAS)? (Czech only)

Is it necessary to prepare a bachelor’s final project for both branches of study in double-major degrees?
The Bachelor’s final project only needs to be prepared for one branch of study, the choice of which branch is up to the student.

What essentials must the bachelor’s and master’s thesis contain?
Please see (create link)
How do I change my thesis topic?
Fill out the form “Consent to change topic or supervisor for the Bachelor’s final project/Master’s thesis” and hand this in at the department’s secretary office. (link?)

Can I sit the state final examination in June and then present my thesis defence in September?
The September period is only for supplementary attempts and adherence to this is stipulated by the Study and Examination Code.  As to the order in which you carry out your exam and thesis presentation/defence is entirely up to you.

What are the student’s requirements before sitting the state final examination or presenting their thesis defence?
If the student has completed all their other study requirements/obligations and wants to undertake the state final exam or thesis defence, he/she must submit a written application:
The deadlines for submitting your application for both the state final exam and thesis defence are:
   State final exam in September 2013 - 13.6.2013
   State final exam in January 2014 - 21.11.2013
   State final exam in June 2014 - 31.3.2014

Is it necessary to submit a paper application for the state final exams/thesis defence?
Yes, and this required within the deadline stipulated in the “academic year schedule”.

What is the due date for the submission of the bachelor’s final project and master’s thesis?
You will also find this information in the “academic year schedule”.

What do the entrance exams for the master’s degree study programme entail?
The candidate must first prepare a 3 page written document introducing the proposed master’s thesis topic, and this must then be submitted by the due date at the secretary’s office of the DAS PhF UP.  Subsequently an oral interview takes place, where the candidate’s current research field and his/her proposed master’s thesis topic are discussed.

Is it possible to undertake a doctoral study programme at the DAS?
No, however you can undertake doctoral studies at a different department within the PhF UP and still focus on Chinese or Japanese study topics.

acasChinese studiesJapanese studiesChinetAsian EthnicityKAS na FacebookuStuduj čínštinuStuduj japonštinuStuduj korejštinuStuduj indonéštinu
Aktualizováno: 7. 9. 15, vytvořeno: 14. 4. 11,